We’re often afraid to tell the truth because:
- We may be rejected
- We don’t want someone to be angry or hurt
- It feels so frickin awkward
For both happy and sad messages, here are some good starters for easing into truth…
- I owe you an apology…I should have said this a long time ago.
- I was afraid of your reaction, so I didn’t tell you the truth.
- Will you forgive me for my lack of courage?
- Can we start over?
- This is very difficult for me to say because we don’t usually speak so honestly with each other, but I want you to know…
Helpful tip: Get detached from the outcome. Your part is to kindly speak the truth.