For many years, I fervently resisted the sentiment in the above quote, maintaining that positive thinking dodged reality. What I failed to realize was that changing our thoughts wasn’t about being positive; it was, instead, about choosing the quantity of thoughts we devote to unproductive topics.
Examples of unproductive thinking (that never change anything):
- “Life sucks. There is no hope for me.”
- “No one understands what I am going through.”
- “I can’t overcome this. I’ll never feel better.”
- “Nothing ever goes well for me.”
- “If only…”
- “They did this to me. I hate them for it.”
- “I want them to suffer like I have suffered.”
Example of a thought that changes our world:
“Bring it on. I was created for this: worthy and strong.”
Not sappy positive.