When I look at people as my enemies I miss at least three important things:
- All of us are struggling with the same things: that quest for pleasure and the avoidance of pain.
- Coexisting on that quest is very tricky. We all knock each other off the sidewalk sometimes.
- None of us has it figured out, and, consequently, do things that are really whacked.
So why not forgive?
My most persuasive arguments for forgiving?
- It makes my face look better
- Bitterness never got anyone anywhere (except more messed up)
- If I am light-hearted it is easier for me to find love and meaningful work (the two things I ultimately need)
- It expands my world instead of shrink-wrapping it
- I’ve been forgiven, too, when I didn’t really deserve to be