“Conversation is a dialog not a monologue. That’s why there are so few good conversations.” – Truman Capote
Capote went on to imply the problem was the scarcity of intelligent talkers. I think it is more about the scarcity of intelligent listeners.
Hindrances to good dialog:
- Assuming you are the only one who has something to say
- Assuming what you say is more truthful or valuable than what someone else may say
- Thinking you are more interesting than you are
- A lack of interest in others
- Pretending to listen because you are thinking about what you are going to do next
- Tolerating the sounds coming out of another’s mouth until it is your time to talk
Here is a guarantee:
Smart people have more real dialog.