After hearing thousands of sad life stories and reading thousands more, these seem to be the themes that lead to the most pain, violence, and despair.
- Justify things you do or have done that harm other people
- Refuse to learn, read, listen, take advice, and ask for help
- Lie and cover; put off owning the truth or dealing with it
- Believe you are superior to any person or group
- Resent someone, be jealous, hold grudges
- Be too proud to say you’re sorry
- Fail to be grateful
- Ignore or deny the miracle of you
- Build a life around fear
Taking responsibility for these three behaviors will keep us from the nine ways to ruin our lives and give us nine lives worth living.