I recently analyzed the elements of a (mostly subconscious) process that I use to measure my own maturity and that of others:
- In conversation, are others given the benefit of a doubt before they are condemned?
- Is the best being assumed about another’s motives?
- Are communications productive vs. full of anger, worry, or fear?
- Are the statements made about others constructive vs. destructive?
- Is responsibility taken for circumstances vs. playing the victim?
- Is kindness shown toward people from whom there is nothing to gain?
- Is sincere interest demonstrated in others vs. indifference or positioning?
- Is there a willingness to listen to, rather than refute, the opinions of others?
- Is there passion to improve even though it may involve vulnerability or pain?