As Stephen King would say, “Fuhgeddaboudit.”
But here’s the argument for it:
- Peaceful, happy people don’t hate
- When you learn tolerance, you suffer less
- Hatred is poison for your heart, immune system, and nervous system
- If it doesn’t kill you first, you might commit a homicide
- Homicide leads to prison time or worse
- Buddha, Jesus, and Mandela said not to do it
So how do you stop hating?
In their books, both Catherine Ponder and Florence Scovel Shinn recommended this easy method:
Every day for two weeks, wish (or pray) happiness for your enemy. That’s it.
- Our enemies will start to be more real to us
- When we really see them, compassion grows
- When people are happier they inflict less suffering on others