Because I wake up every morning with a sort of surprise that I am still here and an awareness of my responsibility to make one more day count, I have developed an almost subconscious checklist that I do before anything else:
- Regardless of what I have planned, do I realize that all is subject to change in an instant?
- Have I fortified myself for disappointment and disruption by remembering that love matters most?
- Have I noticed my own breath, the marvels around me, the vastness of the universe?
- Do I owe anyone an apology, forgiveness, or a thank-you? Do I have promises to keep?
- Who needs my help or encouragement?
- Do I understand that I am no more or no less valuable than any other living being?