Wait! Before making a list of those who have disappointed and caused disillusionment, it might be good to do a quick inventory of the times we may have done the same to others; overpromised and under-delivered, raised and dashed someone’s hopes, or created cynics in the wake behind us.
Very few of us can say that we have never broken a promise.
Quick tips for correcting the over-promising habit:
- Don’t make promises motivated by guilt: “I’ll help,” or,”I’ll call you,” etc.
- If uncertain, or not sure how to respond to an invitation, it’s better to say, “Maybe” than “Yes,” or “Sure.”
- If “no” is the answer, decline early with grace.
- Write down on a to-do list what you said you’d do.
- Do it. Even if it’s hard.