While reading Tony Blair’s biography, A Journey, I realized I had most likely misjudged several politicians and formed unfavorable opinions about them by…
- Relying too heavily on spotty media reports and the opinions of others
- Not giving the benefit of the doubt (as I would have desired if I were in their position)
- Believing the worst without adequate validation
- Always labeling mistakes as moral violations
- Failing to do my own research before spouting off
The least I can do to show respect for people is to read other points of view thoroughly before I form my own opinion. I am ashamed that I have not done enough of that in the past. I owe apologies to people I’ll never get the chance to meet, but am making a new commitment to quit being a jerk.