We waste our opinions when we…
- Use them to build walls.
- See: Iron Curtain, death on barbed wire and electric fences, nonsensical and unproductive political opposition, civil war
- Let them become our identity.
- See: Fanatic, Dallas Violence, homicide, suicide bomber, intolerant, arrogant
- Get frustrated or angry when others do not share them.
- See: Dysfunctional families, mental illness, alienation, manipulation, Facebook ranting and unfriending
- Force them upon someone else (even when we think they will save their lives).
- See: Holy War, The Spanish Inquisition, burning at the stake, ISIS, arguing about religion and politics, discrimination
Our opinions are productive when we…
- Use them to connect and construct solutions.
- Use them to define our own boundaries.
- Get curious, listen, share, and appreciate differences.
- Remember the Good Samaritan.
You may be right. No one cares if you are not good.
Mercy triumphs over judgment.