Politics don’t have to disappoint us.
I became a lot happier and nicer to people when I accepted these truths:
- No politician can save us.
- Whoever is elected will screw up and be mercilessly accused of screwing up.
- If I have to be mean to prove my point, I have already lost.
- We’ve been wrong before. (Lincoln was so unpopular that, after elected, he had to sneak into Washington in disguise.)
- There are good people with good motives in every political party.
- The pendulum will swing back.
- My passion for my country is a force for good only when it is combined with deep passion and honor for people of every group and every nation.
- I am a member of, and responsible to, the human race first; a citizen of the world (not just of my particular country or party).