I cringe to think about all the important people I have arrogantly ignored, shunned, or dismissed.
And I acknowledge that treating anyone as if their existence is irrelevant has consequences. Among the victims, I am the biggest loser.
- I missed meeting children, laborers, teens, and workers in menial jobs who had great minds and astounding futures.
- I missed learning from those who wrote truth in sci-fi, fantasy, rap, and country music.
- I missed being enlightened by the accomplishments and experiences of those who were decades older than me.
- I missed wisdom from other religions, cultures, parties, and belief systems.
- I missed growing in the understanding and depth that can only come from fully appreciating those who may appear unworthy of appreciation.
Doing those things made me irrelevant.