Some of the biggest falls I have taken in my life have been associated with ignoring the following important facts:
- What I think people think about me and what people actually think about me are generally two different things.
- What people say to me is not usually what people say about me (especially when I am their boss, family member, or competitor).
- Who I think really agrees with me and who really agrees with me are far from the same.
To avoid a rude slap in the face from reality, I must…
- find my security from within vs. from without
- remember that we humans, in order to avoid conflict, often say and do what is expedient vs. what is completely honest
- work daily on an inner life (based on awareness vs. illusion)
- solicit, accept, and reward honest feedback from peers, employees, and family