Feeling the Monday morning pressure? It’s no coincidence that in some countries, more heart attacks happen at 9 AM on Monday morning than any other time of the week. Many of us start dreading Monday as soon as we wake up on Sunday.
An easy way to open this pressure valve is to find your pressure-to-pleasure question. The following have worked well for me:
- How can I have fun while I work?
- How can I make this task a challenge to myself?
- How can I utilize my gifts more fully as I work?
- How can I bring my entire, unique self to this task?
- How can I appreciate the difference I am making today?
Patrick Lencioni, in the book Three Signs of a Miserable Job, attests that these are the signs:
- Performance is unnoticed
- Performance is unrewarded
- Performance is irrelevant
If we must stay on a job where we feel unnoticed, unrewarded, or irrelevant, we will have to find a way to do those things for ourselves.