If you haven’t had to say you’re sorry or eat any humble pie lately, count your blessings.
But, it wouldn’t hurt to prepare your palate. Unfortunately, humble pie is an indispensable element of the “self-improvement diet:” the fastest program for transforming us into more balanced, compassionate, and less self-centered people.
To prepare ourselves for the inevitable, it helps to:
1. Practice being merciful to others who make mistakes.
2. Laugh when we catch ourselves taking ourselves, and our opinions too seriously.
3. Embrace the limits of our knowledge, perspective, and memory.
4. Listen better. Speak Less.
5. Remember it is more rewarding to have good relationships than to be right.